25.7.12

Focal Lengths and Different Viewpoints


My subject for the focal lengths and different viewpoints exercise was a gateway leading to a public footpath. I used this subject as I knew that I would be able to use the edges of the gateway as the limits of the photo in order to compare the content.
Using the lens at the longest zoom of 55mm, I composed the photo using the gateway edges as a guide. The resulting shot showed the river leading away from the gate leading to the power station in the background.

I then set the lens to its widest setting of 18mm, moved closer to the gateway  and repeated. Although the edges of the gateway were still set to the edges of the photo, in this shot the power station looked considerably further away. The gate itself, being closer to the camera also seems wider in this shot.

I think that the reason for this is in the angle of view. When standing back with the zoom at its longest, the angle of what is shown is much narrower, leading to less width at an extreme distance. As a result of this, less of the power station fits in the shot so it seems larger and therefore closer. By the same token, at the wider angle, more of the landscape in the distance fits in the shot, making the power station look smaller and further away.
I have noticed this point in the past but was quite surprised at how extreme the difference was in this particular situation. It is definitely an aspect which I will pay more attention to in future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment