11.10.13

Variety with low sun

Although this exercise could be completed using several subjects, I felt that I could learn a lot by comparing images of the same subject shot from different directions. I chose a slatted garden chair as I felt that the framework would create interesting shadows.

My first image is shot using frontal lighting. Apart from the shadow cast to the rear, there is not much interest in this image. The lighting appears very flat and there are few visible shadows on the chair. My instant reaction is to compare this image to those using on-camera flash; the light coming from the front has the effect of flattening the image. I will try to remember this when studying artificial lighting in future units.
 
 
The image taken with side lighting shows much more contrast; the slats of the chair creating strong shadows. The strong contrast has made it difficult to expose correctly; I feel that the lit parts of the chair are overexposed while the shadows are very dark.
 
The second image using side lighting was a little easier to expose as the light in this area was less bright.
 
I was quite pleased with the result of shooting the chair using back lighting. Parts of the chair are almost silhouetted against the bright background showing the strong lines of the slats. If the chair hadn’t created such a strong shape, this image would have been less successful; the shape becomes the subject as a result of the strong backlight.
 
I struggled to grasp the technique of edge lighting, not quite managing to achieve using the chair. I think I might have cracked it in this image of a pair of plant pots shot in a local garden centre. Using the hedge as a dark background, the top edges of the pots are lit by the sun behind. This kind of lighting helps to define the shape of the pots.

I will keep these findings in mind as I move towards experiments using artificial lighting.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment