28.4.14

Jay Maisel

One of my favourite photographers for his use of colour is Jay Maisel; Although Maisel has photographed many celebrities, I am more drawn to his distinct use of colour and light. Maisel works with very simple but definite blocks of colour and light. His work almost looks as if it has jumped out of a rule book on use of colour as it is so simple in appearance, as are the titles to go with them. Although many of Maisel’s prints are true to his block work style, he has several images which work more with the qualities of light than with bold, bright colours. When looking at images such as ‘Restaurant Roof’, I felt like I was viewing the work of a different photographer as this particular image has an almost ‘Van Gogh’ like quality to it. On closer inspection however, I noticed that although Maisel was in this case working with light rather than colour, he had still captured the subject in definite blocks of the varying forms of light.




On reading further into Maisel’s work, I discovered that his preferred method is to forget about complicated lighting set ups and mainly shoots with one lens, looking for interesting shapes, colours and light around the city. I feel that when learning the art of photography, this is a valuable lesson to learn and a great way to exercise artistic flair.

Before discovering Maisel, I had worried that in order to develop an artistic voice I would have to quash parts of who I am in order to pursue a particular type of photography. I now understand that this does not necessarily mean a choice between vibrant or muted colours or between landscapes and close ups but it is about the individual style in which these elements are used.

No comments:

Post a Comment