21.6.12

Focus at different apertures


For this exercise, I focused on the midpoint of a piece of wood found on a walk. I stood at an angle to the wood so that one end was further away from me than the other. With my camera set to a wide aperture of 5.6, only a small strip of the wood remained in focus. I like this effect as it shows a definite sense of depth to the subject. As I narrowed the aperture to 14 and then to 36, a wider depth of field was created bringing more of the log into focus. I have highlighted the limits of sharpness on each photo to show the depth of field at each aperture. My favourite is the middle photo as I feel the cut of point between sharpness and blur feels more natural. Although the first photo shows more depth, I feel that the focused area being a straight strip doesn’t fit with the organic nature of the wood.


No comments:

Post a Comment