21.6.12

Focus with set aperture


During a walk at a nearby power station, I found several opportunities to practise this technique. My first set is of three nuts in a line on a railing.  I felt that on this set, the photo with the middle nut in focus looked the best as the photo looks the most balanced. With the focus on the right hand nut I felt a need to search the photo as my eye didn’t readily rest on the nut. Focus on the left hand nut was much easier on the eye but I thought it made the railing look a weird shape.


My second set shows bolts on a circular drum. I quite like all of these shots; however the front bolt in focus holds the least interest for me. I really like the centre nut in focus because quite a large area is highlighted showing the contrasting reds and greens which aren’t so noticeable in the other two. I like the rear bolt for totally contrasting reasons. This photo has the smallest percentage of the shot in focus and the colours are quite muted as a result. I think that for these reasons, the photo creates some tension but not so much as to make it uncomfortable to look at. The point of focus is also in the top third of the photo which often creates a more interesting shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment