31.10.12

Real and implied triangles


The triangular rock in this image leads the eye in several directions. The top point leads upwards towards the girl, who is the primary focal point. The side points lead the eye downwards and out to the sides, grounding the image and giving it width.

 The perspective in this shot makes the parallel lines in this phone box appear to converge towards the top. In hindsight, I feel the image would have benefitted from a more dramatic convergence gained with a wider angle lens or a steeper perspective.

In this shot, I feel I have gained a much steeper convergence. Although the same lens was used, this effect is as a result of the bridge being much longer than the phone box.

When using several items, I achieved the triangular shape by using a single tall item at the back and getting gradually smaller and wider towards the front. I also ensured that I had more items at the front to increase the width.

To achieve a triangle with the apex at the bottom, I used much shallower items in a line to form the back row. Slightly smaller objects were placed in front to form the apex and in this image, the light from the candles helps to enhance the triangular shape.

The faces in this image form a triangle which I feel creates quite a lot of movement. Although the faces are in a triangle, I feel that the implied lines form a bit of a zig-zag, going from the photographer’s camera to the younger man, following his eye line to the other photographer and then from his eye line and camera to the ground.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment