29.10.13

Assignment two: response to feedback

I was quite pleased with the response to my ‘Elements of Design’ assignment. I had taken shots on the same beach at three different times of day; however due to the subject matter, those taken on a dull, drizzly morning seemed the most successful.
My tutor mostly preferred the images taken without people in and I can see his point. The children in the image below distract from the intended subject which is the vertical lines of the pipes. He also feels that this image would be more effective with landscape orientation to create more of a sense of space. I agree that this would make the image fit better as part of the set but I prefer the portrait orientation as I feel it enhances the vertical lines which are the main subject of the image. I will revisit the sets to see if I have an appropriate replacement.


My tutor suggested some research on industrial landscape photographers as this is an interest of mine. I found the work of John Davies <http://www.johndavies.uk.com/> interesting and especially like his image of Agecroft Power Station: <http://gb.pinterest.com/pin/353110427005940617/>. Having spent much of my teenage years close to the power station featured in my assignment, I seem to have developed an admiration for their huge, silent form and love to photograph them when possible.
Research on John Davies lead me to Edward Burtynsky where I discovered several albums which appealed to me, especially one entitled ‘Shipbreaking’, a captivating album showing the dismantling of no longer needed single hulled ships. Like the old ship I photographed sinking into the mud, Burtynsky speaks of nature reclaiming ‘even the most ambitious of human incursions into the land’. Burtynsky has captured perfectly the feel of the massive ships becoming part of the landscape, evoking visions of a vast graveyard.
In response to this further reading as well as my tutor’s comments, I feel that some of my brighter images in the set would benefit from a re-edit, making the overall mood more consistent.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment