29.10.13

Shiny surfaces

For this project I chose a clear light bulb as I felt the round shape would be difficult to photograph, encouraging further learning. First, I took a shot of the bulb using one studio light with no diffusion. As shown, there are several burnt out areas on the bulb caused by the lighting, which is very distracting.
As instructed, I made a funnel out of tracing paper with one end taped to my lens, fitting perfectly around it and the other end, just large enough to fit round the object. I found this quite difficult as I could only find A4 tracing paper so, having taped three pieces together; I extended the funnel to the size needed by adding a length of grease proof paper on the end. I had previously tried to create the entire funnel using grease proof paper but it was too thin and floppy to stand straight.
 
My first image taken using my newly made creation was lit from front right, about half a metre above the subject. The burnt out areas were almost gone but the reflection of the layers of grease proof paper are shown in the glass.
 
A similar effect shows in the second image, lit from the same height as the previous shot but this time from behind and to the right.
 
My next shot shows the image lit from above. This had the result of reducing the uneven layers of light; however they are still slightly visible.
 
The last image using the cone was taken lit again, from above but with the light much higher, almost two metres above. A clearer image is produced, yet the cone is still visible in the bulb’s surface. I decided that with such a difficult subject and poorly made equipment, this was probably as good as I was going to get.
 
Having given up and screwed up the paper which had tested me to the limit by flopping about and encroaching on my shots, I suddenly had an idea. With the light in its previous position, I lay the scrunched up paper over the bulb so that it was completely covered. I set the camera almost on the ground and covered the route from camera to bulb with more paper. The resulting shot doesn’t have the best background, yet the bulb is lit more evenly than in any other shot.
 
I have learned a lot about lighting throughout this experiment; however my main lesson would be to buy a light-box and stop messing about with tracing paper – what a nightmare!

No comments:

Post a Comment