29.10.13

Rain

Project: a single image for a magazine cover on one subject: rain.

When I first saw this title, I thought it would be easy – I’m always out in the rain and often enough, taking photos. The difficulty I had was the fact that rain means so many things to me; puddle jumping with the kids, fitness training, that pit-pat sound, fresh smelling grass, holidays, mountains, forests, sitting under trees watching the world go by and then it hit me. What do all these things have in common? What is the one thing that always follows a day out in the rain?
Washing!
Don’t get me wrong, sometimes we dress appropriately for the weather but sometimes we just forget. So, the photo I have chosen to use for this exercise sums up what rain means to me – an inappropriately dressed, dripping wet walk home.
 
I suppose the question is does this fit the criteria? Is this a single, strong, attractive photograph that leaves no-one in doubt about the subject? There’s only one way to find out:
Facebook! Back soon...
............................
So I uploaded the photograph to Facebook with the request; 'in one word, describe what this image symbolises to you'.

The responses I’ve got were: soggy, Blackpool, damp, puddles, homeless, childhood, carefree, liberated, cold, autumn, rain-walk, squelch, buggered, croc, coffee, slipshod and British summer. A couple of people just said Amber - they know her pretty well.
There are a couple of weird and wonderful responses but I think most people got the gist of it, there are a quite a few words to do with weather and wetness thrown in so I'm happy to say that... I'm happy with that! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment