29.10.13

Juxtaposition

Illustration by juxtaposition involves putting two elements together so that the relationship between them is the main subject of the illustration. One option for this exercise is to choose a book title and create a relevant cover to illustrate, using the relationships between objects in a still life setting.  The other is to photograph someone with a possession relevant to their work or hobby using a creative viewpoint and focal length. I’ve done neither but what the hey, it’s an art course and I’ve just discovered my creative side! What I have done however, is photograph two things which have impacted on my own life and which, aside from me, have their own unique relationship.

On a dull, cloudy day on Brighton beach, I spotted a mirror ball glistening in the existing light. Mirror balls being the mainstay of glitzy nightclubs, it seemed bizarre seeing it in such a cold, grey environment. In the distance stood my all time favourite building, Brighton’s West Pier; now reduced to a withered sculpture of rusty metal and seaweed. The relationship between the pier and the ball amused me so I took a while to ponder over why before taking the shot.
 
My first encounter with the West Pier was in 1991 while on a visit to Brighton University. It was love at first sight and it featured highly in my decision to move to Brighton. I eventually dropped out of university as I was struggling to fit it in with my evening job working in a nightclub. Seems like a strange way to prioritise but The Gloucester had become more of a way of life than a job and I was fast losing interest in my studies - so the nightclub mirror ball symbolises the next stage of my life in Brighton. Now that I’ve explained how both elements fit into my life, I’d better get onto how they fit together.
So, pondering this relationship, it struck me that the mirror ball is a reflection of the pier’s past; a hive of activity in its heyday featuring eateries and dance halls. The pier closed down in 1975, just as the mirror ball was at an all time high in the middle of the disco era. Many bidders have promised to return the pier to its former glory over the years but nothing has ever materialised. In order to symbolise its position in Brighton’s present, I adopted a wide angle making the pier appear as small as possible. If I were to look into the pier’s future, it could easily be symbolised by the empty, grey space which fills the left side of the image or the sea which the pier will eventually crumble into.
If this were a book cover, I think it would be entitled ‘A Forgotten World’. The title is placed at the top of the page, leaving the empty space below to represent the pier's future.
 
The stillness in the image reflects the sadness that one day, the pier will be gone. As I look up to the mirror ball, a smile creeps across my face as I see the reflection of the sea front and think of the good times we still have visiting this town and staying with one of my favourite friends.

Oh my, I've just realised the mirror ball also looks a bit like a globe fitting perfectly with the title! Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment